Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Purple hope



The other morning as I left for work, I was surprised to be greeted by these beautiful purple flowers. I felt an immediate attachment to them, wanting to protect them from the late spring frosts that were still to come, thinking they must have bloomed by some fluke caused by the ridiculous fluctuation of the weather in the Midwest. I stooped to look at them every day as I left for work, marvelling that they were still alive and thriving while everything around them, (grass, trees, neighboring plants) was still lying dormant.
On Saturday, it was finally nice enough to do a little yard work, so while Andy busied himself cleaning the gutters, I worked on aerating the flower beds. Though my goal was to loosen the hard-packed soil to allow water to penetrate, I'm suspicious that my only success was in giving myself a sore arm. In hindsight, the Garden Claw might have been worth the extra money. Andy made me use toothpicks stuck into a sponge; we're still not speaking. Not really. But we did try to save money on the tool, and I now know why it was so cheap. However, I did find time to take a few pictures (about 26, but I had to delete most of them already so Andy wouldn't know how much I was goofing off while he was almost falling off the ladder).

5 comments:

david said...

Those are nice pictures. Are they the ones right outside your house?

Janell said...

Yes...sadly they died not long after I declared my unending love for them, so now these pictures are a little memorial to my dear friends who are no longer with us. Actually I think they are those one kind of flowers that come back every year...annuals?? Please tell me wise flora guru. (Isn't that what they called you at Barry's?)

The Man said...

Those are pretty flowers. How did Andy, "almost fall off the roof"?

Mike said...

Just buy some plastic flowers at Wal-Mart and you can have year round beauty in your yard. Some plastic pink flamingos add a nice touch too. I am passing on yard decorating tips I learned from my mother.

Janell said...

Actually I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I've bought several plastic plants for the inside of our house...mostly because I don't think I can keep anything alive for very long. But every time I do, I feel a little bit more like Grandma Barnhart and wonder if she started out with decorative plants for the house and then eventually decided to just start "planting" them outside as well. Only time will tell.